Advocacy Advance is offering a number of training opportunities in our region this year.
Their Navigating MAP-21 Workshops “are designed to provide the knowledge, skills and resources to access untapped or under-utilized federal funding sources at the state, regional and local level to build bicycling and walking infrastructure and programs. With a focus on the new transportation bill, Navigating MAP-21 Workshop participants will learn how to maximize funding in the new Transportation Alternatives program and utilize all MAP-21 funding programs for bicycle and pedestrian projects at the state and local levels.”
MAP-21 is the “Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act”, the new national transportation bill that significantly changes the landscape for funding bike/ped infrastructure. MAP-21 has reduced the amount of money available for bike/ped, and has changed how that money is apportioned.
Upcoming Navigating MAP-21 Workshops
There are several MAP-21 Training Workshops scheduled for 2013 in our region:
- April 4, 2013: Wichita, KS
- July 18, 2013: Northwest Arkansas
- October 17, 2013: Omaha, NE
During the workshops, participants will:
- Learn how to maximize funding in the new Transportation Alternatives program
- Learn how to utilize all MAP-21 funding programs for bike/ped at the state and local level
- Learn the key characteristics, requirements, and opportunities of these programs
- Discuss favorable factors for bicycling and walking investments
- Understand the important role of advocates, agency staff, and elected officials in securing this funding
- Share knowledge and experiences in the local context, working together to develop a list of local priorities and strategies for funding bicycle and pedestrian projects and programs
Thursday, April 4, 2013 at the Downtown YMCA in Wichita
The Wichita training on April 4th is the only one scheduled for Kansas. It is hosted by The Bike/Walk Alliance-Wichita, the Wichita Area Metropolitan Transportation Planning Organization, and the Kansas Department of Transportation.
The Navigating MAP-21 Workshop will take place in the brand new Downtown YMCA, 402 N. Market, Wichita, KS from 8:30am to 3:30pm.
The training workshop is FREE, but you do need to pre-register here.
If you have any questions about the workshop, or need further assistance or special accommodations of any kind, please don’t hesitate to contact Barry Carroll with the Bike\Walk Alliance – Wichita at firstname.lastname@example.org or 316.249.2804.
If you’re unable to attend the Wichita workshop on April 4th, please consider one of the other workshops in our region. It’s not only an opportunity to get FREE training on the new Transportation Alternatives program, but you’ll have a chance to meet and network with other bike/ped advocates in our region.
About Advocacy Advance
Advocacy Advance is a partnership of the Alliance for Biking & Walking and the League of American Bicyclists to “boost local and state bicycle and pedestrian advocacy efforts. With support from SRAM, Advocacy Advance provides targeted trainings, reports, grants and assistance to equip advocates with the specific tools they need to increase biking and walking in their communities.”